Postoctoral Research Fellow
Status: 'Under Review' ( the under examination version can be found here).
Bio and Interests
Arren is currently a Postdoctorate Research Fellow at the CyPhyLab, Queensland University of Technology. He is working on visual place recognition and visual odometry under extreme conditional variance, e.g. during bright sunny days and stormy nights. The research will have outcomes in the development of persistent navigation for robots over the space of days, weeks and months.
Arren completed his PhD Dissertation at the CyPhyLab, Queensland University of Technology, and it is currently 'under review'.
Arren began his PhD in 2009 in the field of Intelligent and Cognitive Robotics in a project entitled "Talking with Robots: Evolving Grounded Language for Embodied Agents". Arren's PhD was titled 'Developing Grounded Representations for Robots through the Principles of Sensorimotor Coordination'. The research looked at unsupervised object discovery and affordance learning by correlating change in sensory input with motor commands.(Partially Observable) Markov Decision Processes are developed from robot experience and are used to represent the coordination between sensory and motor data. The framework is designed to incorporate processes of segmentation, recognition, attention, affordance learning and planning. Contributing to the project as a whole - the representations can be used with language development techniques among populations of robots to generate words that label and describe objects.
He graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechatronics) with first class honours from the University of Queensland in 2008. During his honours year he worked with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) as a summer and honours scholar.
Interests: Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Programming for Robots, Open Source Software, Artificial Intelligence, Robots!
9. Glover, A., & Wyeth, G. (2012) Robots Move: Bootstrapping the Development of Object Representations using Sensorimotor Coordination. In: The International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vilamoura, Portugal, October 2012.
8. M. Warren, D. McKinnon, H. Hu, A. Glover, M. Shiel, B. Upcroft, (2012) Large Scale Monocular Vision-only Mapping from a Fixed-Wing sUAS, In The International Conference on Field and Service Robotics, Matsushima, Japan
7. Glover, A., Maddern, W., Warren M., Reid S., Milford M., & Wyeth, G. (2012) OpenFABMAP: An Open Source Toolbox for Appearance-based Loop Closure Detection. In: The International Conference on Robotics and Automation, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
6. Glover, A., & Wyeth, G. (2011) Emergent Task-Specific Object Semantics through Distributed Experience Networks. In: The International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems' Workshop on Active Semantic Perception and Object Search in the Real World, San Francisco, USA, September 2011
5. Schulz, R., Glover, A., Milford, M., Wyeth, G., & Wiles, J. (2011) Lingodroids: Studies in Spatial Cognition and Language. In: The International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Shanghai, China, May 2011
4. Schulz, R., Glover, A., Wyeth, G., & Wiles, J. (2010) Robots, communication, and language: An overview of the Lingodroid Project. In: Proceedings of the Australasian Conference on Robotics and Automation 2010, 1-3 December 2010, Brisbane, Australia
3. Glover, Arren, Schulz, Ruth, Wyeth, Gordon & Wiles, Janet (2010) Grounding Action in Visuo-Haptic Space using Experience Networks. In: Proceedings of Australasian Conference on Robotics and Automation 2010, 1-3 December 2010, Brisbane, Australia
2. Glover, Arren, Maddern, William, Milford, Michael, & Wyeth, Gordon (2010) FAB-MAP + RatSLAM : appearance-based SLAM for multiple times of day. In: 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA2010), 3 - 8 May 2010, Anchorage, Alaska, USA
1. Maddern, William, Glover, Arren, Milford, Michael, & Wyeth, Gordon (2009) Augmenting RatSLAM using FAB-MAP-based visual data association. In: Proceedings of Australasian Conference on Robotics and Automation 2009, 2-4 December 2009, Sydney, Australia
This is an open source implementation of the FABMAP algorithm. Code can be checked out of the repository or downloaded in zip format. This code was used for  and .
Arren Glover | Postdoctoral Research Fellow | School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Science and Engineering Faculty | Queensland University of Technology
Gardens Point, S Block 1107 | 2 George Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000
phone: + 61 7 3138 9968 | email: email@example.com