A printed copy of each of the following will be available to conference participants.
ACPNS has produced some brief issues sheets on various aspects of Australian fundraising regulation. A hard copy wil be provided to conference participants. They are not finalised and meant only for the use of the conference participants at this stage. Comments are welcome.
1. This sheet looks at the total number of fundraising registrations, government fundraising staff, complaints and prosecutions.
2. This sheet examines the national nonprofit regulation inquiries that have made fundraising recommendations over the last 15 years.
3.This sheet looks at the fundraising acts and regulations in each jurisdiction and their development.
4. This sheet examines the offences and penalties under fundraising legislation.
5. This sheet examines the exemption from fundraising regulation in each Australian jurisdiction.
6. This sheet looks at the nature of annual returns in each jurisdicition.
7. This sheet examines the legislative requirements for keeping records and information required for annual returns.
8. This sheet looks at the use of 'ratios' in Australian fundraising legislation.
9.This sheet examines the regulation of collection boxes in each jurisdiction.
10. This sheet examines the regulation of clothing bins and bags in each jurisdiction.
11. This sheet examines the regulations relating to children being involved in appeals.
12. This sheet considers provisions for web-based or internet fundraising in Australia
13. This sheet outlines provisions for use of commercial fundraisers
14. This sheet outlines the results of a time and cost survey of applications to conduct fundraising in relevant Australian states and territories
The following papers will be delivered or referred to at the Reforming Fundraising Regulation conference.
'Regulation of Charitable Solicitations in the United States of America' by Putnam Barber
USA Barber.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=1.31MB
'Governing Private Governance: Evolving Approaches to the Regulation of Charitable Fundraising in Canada' by Susan D Phillips
Phillips_Governing Private Governance.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=801KB
'Diversifying and Strengthening Regulation of Fundraising and Charitable Solicitation in Asia: Recent Experience in India, China, Singapore, the Philippines, and Taiwan' by Mark Sidel
Sidel Fundraising and Charitable Solicitation Regulation in Asia draft.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=270KB
Sidel Appendix A PRC Hunan draft regulations on solicitation of donations 2010.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=283KB
'The Perks and Perils of Non-statutory Fundraising Regulatory Regimes: An Anglo-Irish Perspective' by Dr Oonagh B. Breen
Breen,_Perks_and_Perils,_Apr_1,_2011.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=434KB
'The Expenditure Efficiency of Australian International Aid Organisations' by Matt O'Connor, Chris Ryan and Helen Irvine
O'Connor et al_expend effic_draft_040411.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=216KB
'National proposals for reform of Australian Fundraising' by Myles McGregor-Lowndes
National proposals_MML (ISTR).pdf Type=pdf file. Size=313KB
'Fundraising Legislation in Australia: the Exemptions and Exceptions Maze' by Myles McGregor-Lowndes and Frances Hannah
Exemptions and exceptions_MML and FH.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=891KB
REGULATING CHARITABLE SOLICITATION PRACTICES - THE SEARCH FOR A HYBRID SOLUTION, Oonagh Breen, Financial Accountability & Management, 25(1), February 2009
'The True Cost of Fundraising: Should Donors Care?' A. Sargeant , E. Jay and S. Lee.
'Ratio Discrimination in Charity Fundraising: the Inappropriate Use of Cost Ratios has Harmful Side Effects' by Richard Steinberg and Debra Morris
'Charity Watchdogs and the Limits of Information-Based Regulation' by Rebecca Szper and Aseem Prakash
'The Mandatory Disclosure of Cost of Fundraising Ratios: Does it achieve the regulators' purposes?' by Ted Flack
Fund costs Flack wp26.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=372KB
'Regulating the Not-for-Profit Sector' by Susan Pascoe
NFP_Research_Pascoe.pdf Type=pdf file. Size=312KB
McGregor-Lowndes, Myles, Flack, Ted, Poole, Glenn, & Marsden, Stephen (2014) Defining and Accounting for Fundraising Income and Expenses.
Nonprofit Overhead Cost Project, a joint project of the Urban Institute Center on Nonprofits and Philanthropy & Indiana University, Center on Philanthropy
- 'What we Know about Overhead Costs in the Nonprofit Sector' Type=pdf file. Size=139KB
- 'Getting what we Pay for: Low Overhead Limits Nonprofit Effectiveness' Type=pdf file. Size=229KB
- 'The Quality of Financial Reporting by Nonprofits: Findings and Implications' Type=pdf file. Size=211KB
- 'The Pros and Cons of Financial Efficiency Standards' Type=pdf file. Size=201KB