Peter joined Queensland University of Technology at the start of 2010. He is known for his research in vision-based robot control, field robotics and wireless sensor networks.
He received his B.Eng and M.Eng.Sc. degrees, both in Electrical Engineering, and a PhD in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, all from the University of Melbourne.
He is a fellow of the IEEE, editor-in-chief of the IEEE Robotics & Automation magazine, and
recipient of the Qantas/Rolls-Royce and Australian Engineering Excellence awards.
Prior to QUT he was a senior principal research scientist at CSIRO where he founded the Autonomous Systems laboratory, a 50-person team undertaking research in mining, ground, aerial and underwater robotics, as well as sensor networks. He subsequently led a major cross-organizational "capability platform" in wireless sensor networks.
He has held visiting positions at the GRASP laboratory at U.Pennsylvania (1988-9), U. Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1999), Robotics Institute at Carnegie-Mellon University (2003), and the Mobile Robotics Group at Oxford University (2009).
- Wireless sensor networks and applications
- Robotics and sensor networks for environmental management
- Aerial robots
- Robotics; control architectures, sensor-based control
- Machine vision; stereo, laser range_ndering, algorithms, video-rate processing
- Real-time distributed computer applications
Professional and Group Associations
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society. Elected as Fellow in 2007. Elected to the AdCom (board of governors) in 2008.
- International Federation of Robotics Research (IFRR). Elected as officer in 2009.
Scientific Community Service
- Editor-in-chief of the IEEE Robotics & Automation magazine
- Founding and associate editor of the Journal of Field Robotics
- Founding multi-media editor and editorial board member of the International Journal of Robotics Research
- Member of the editorial advisory board of the Springer Tracts on Advanced Robotics series
- Member of external advisory board for CONET, EU research network on cooperating objects
- Past president of the Australian Robotics and Automation Association
- Region chair, area chair, member of technical committees for major international conferences such as: ICRA, IROS, RSS, Sensys, IPSN
- USA 22/4 to 11/5 (IEEE in NJ, MIT, ICRA)
- LA 30/2 to 2/4 (RSS TPC meeting)
- Oxford/Portugal 15/2 to 6/3
Things I'm working on this year
- ISSNIP 2010, general chair
- REALWSN 2010, TPC chair
- RSS 2010, Area chair
- ICRA 2010, Senior Program committee, chair symposia on robotic vision
- IROS 2010, Oceania region chair, reviewer
- DCOSS 2010, technical program committee
- WUWNET 2010, technical program committee